Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Days Like These

Got a call from my boss this afternoon, one which everyone in my group of six technical writers got notifying us that a meeting would be held tomorrow announcing that our jobs will be "impacted" by a restructuring.

When I naturally pressed my boss for further details, he held back, but here's what I think is going to happen: everyone in my group (all contractors) will be notified that their contracts shall expire (perhaps tomorrow, perhaps at the end of the month), and 3-4 permanent writing positions be opened for which any of us may apply between now and May 1st, which is when the restructuring is slated to conclude. So in other words, we'll all be tossed into an arena and given the opportunity to fight it out amongst ourselves.

Survival of the fittest, indeed.

It's either this, or some of us may simply be given our walking papers outright. But no matter what, I despise being given news like this with no specifics outside of "You'll learn more later. Be patient."

Fuck you. Be a man, and tell me one way or another.

Do I have to file for unemployment again, or not? I mean, hell, it's not as if my livelihood is hanging in the balance in a historically poor job market.

No comments: