Monday, April 23, 2007

Musical Dreams

Throughout my life, I’ve never been a huge concert-goer, usually because of insanely high ticket costs native to bigger tours.

But between the years of 1995 and 1998 (mostly to get a girl’s attention) I went on a minor musical tear among a few Chicago venues including Metro, Park West, Double Door, and even Arlington Park when it took a year-off from horse racing to host concerts.

In retrospect--despite my lame motives--this musical period in my life was hardly a bad thing, as it led to some good shows (Ashley MacIssac, John Lee Hooker, Squeeze, Lenny Kravitz, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan). I even briefly hung with Natalie Merchant before a show at ISU.

But there are still some big acts I want to catch, acts I’ve listened to for ages but never landed a ticket for because, well, concerts were not a priority then.

So tonight I’ll be making an exception for Billy Joel at Sears Centre.

Other than being a great songwriter, I’ve always thought Billy Joel would make an outstanding music teacher, as during his 1999 appearance on “Inside The Actor’s Studio” he taught me more about music in two hours than I learned in six years of grade school instruction.

He’s also a legendary showman; I can’t sum Mr. Joel up much better than that.

And sure, I paid out big cabbage to see him. But to me, he’s worth it, as is shelling out an equally large sum to see The Police Reunion Tour this July at Wrigley Field.

Plus, I get the honor of dropping $25 on a t-shirt at both shows, which as everyone knows, are of the highest possible quality.

No comments: