Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Shadow Man

Although I believe no TV anthology series can ever match the original “Twilight Zone” for sheer storytelling quality, I often give CBS’s revival of “Zone” (1985-1989) credit for making a good stab at it. Featuring a terrific new opening sequence, with music by the Grateful Dead, the series sported some genuinely good stories including “To See The Invisible Man,” “Examination Day,” and “Nightcrawlers.”

Yet among these, the episode that sticks most in my mind is “The Shadow Man,” directed by Joe Dante (“Gremlins”) and written by Rockne O’Bannon, about a nerdy suburban boy who discovers a spectre living under his bed who rises each night and whispers “I am the Shadow Man, and I will never harm the person under whose bed I live” before leaving out the boy’s window.

Dismissing the incident as a bad dream, the boy goes to school the next day to hear of someone having been attacked the previous night by a suspect matching the Shadow Man’s appearance. Later, the boy even decides to use the spirit to his advantage -- despite his town growing increasingly alarmed by the sudden spike in nighttime assaults which local police have been unable to stop.

Anyhow, although “The Shadow Man” is a bit dated—and the ending somewhat weak, IMO--the episode is still a fun premise worth revisiting.

Click here for Part I of the episode, and here for Part II.

Enjoy.


PS: Although I felt the overall series was just okay, an episode of NBC’s “Amazing Stories” (which aired around the same time as the new “Twilight Zone”) I also enjoyed is “Mirror Mirror” co-written by Steven Spielberg, and directed by Martin Scorsese -- about a bitter filmmaker (played by Sam Waterson) stalked by a black figure visible only in reflected surfaces.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a copy of the episode on You Tube right now, but will keep an eye out for it.

No comments: