Thursday, January 10, 2008

Rainy Days and Thursdays

Last night, while attending Mike Rende’s 41st birthday, I got into a subtle argument with my golf and hockey pal Mark over the subject of superhero-themed tattoos derived from an article on the subject in this month’s issue of Wizard.

Although he is uncomfortable around needles, Mark suggested he might get a small tat of Thor’s hammer on his arm if I went along.

“Fine,” I said. “I already have a design picked out: an etching of a bat by Dave McKean from hard-cover editions of Arkham Asylum (1989).”

“But that’s not a superhero design,” Mark said.

“The hell it ain’t,” says I. “It’s Batman.”

“Is not!” Mark said.

At this point, I informed Mark of a simple truth – if I’m the person who’ll wear the tattoo in question for life (barring a shameful march to a dermatologist one day to get it removed), I’ll decide what design works or not.

Nevertheless, I hope Mark follows through with his offer to get tagged. I’ll even talk him through the experience if he gets light-headed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again a skeleton of a bat is NOT the Batman symbol.

Christopher Hugh Varney (CHV) said...

Not per se, Anony-er, I mean, young Mr. Bachelder.

But it is an abstraction of the Bat symbol, and 100 times better looking (IMO).