Thursday, January 31, 2008

On The Political Soapbox

Now that the party nominations for both Democrats and Republicans have finally boiled down to two viable candidates each, I have to say I’m fairly pleased with the outcomes.

While I consider myself an independent (and am a current Obama-backer), even if GOP Senator John McCain were elected president in November I wouldn’t be entirely upset – although in retrospect, I wish to God he would have been elected in 2000. The country would almost certainly be 1000% better off than it is now.

True, I’m not a fan of all McCain’s politics (i.e. abortion, Iraq policy), and have serious reservations about his advanced age (McCain would be 78 at the end of his first term), the fact that John McCain drives the neo-con media types (e.g. Limbaugh, Coulter, et al.) who twice helped put George W. Bush into office into an ideological rage could not please me more – as would seeing Obama or Hillary Clinton winning the election for the Dems.

Either way, American neo-cons would be confounded, and for that I couldn’t be happier.

Yesterday I read that John McCain’s camp has sent feelers out to Rush Limbaugh (a longtime McCain critic who until recently pushed for Fred “I’m Tired” Thompson) as a gesture to unify the GOP ticket for 2008.

Frankly, I have no idea why McCain would bother.

While he has as much right to his political opinion as any American, Limbaugh is a bloated mass of irrelevancy whose media existence relies solely on the masturbatory attention his ditto-heads provide his self-image.

But either way, be it Clinton, McCain, or Obama in the White House come January 2009, only two fundamental truths will matter to me: a) George W. Bush will be toddling back to Crawford for good, and; b) millions of neo-cons will be weeping in their beers.

No comments: