Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Lovecraft On Film (Again)

Targeted for 2010 release, word of Guillermo De Toro’s big screen adaptation of “At The Mountains of Madness” by HP Lovecraft both intrigues and concerns me – both because I wonder how Guillermo can unravel Lovecraft’s meandering (to put it mildly) source text into something filmable.

Yes, I know such adaptations have been done before (“Re-Animator,” “In The Mouth of Madness”), but “Mountains” would address one of Lovecraft’s larger texts, and as any fan of his stuff knows, reading it is like wading through molasses. Plus, Lovecraft’s fiction is so overwhelming (by design) it makes one question how it could be put to film without driving audiences away babbling out of sheer confusion.

Yet I suppose if anyone can successfully pull such a feat off its Del Toro, whom I wish to God would make a “Hellboy” movie pitting the BPRD versus a Cthulhu cult.

Now that I’d love to see.

No comments: