Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Merry New Year

Last night, I marked the arrival of a new year by getting my fourth tattoo: a woodcut of an owl perched on an open book used as a logo for the Chicago Public Library.

I first saw the source art several years ago when first used for the grand opening of the Harold Washington Library in downtown Chicago, and loved it from the word go. But it was only recently that I got the idea of transferring the image to my right bicep, a job which took an hour to finish at Insight Tattoo on a snowy Milwaukee Avenue – the same studio where I got a memorial tattoo last fall marking my father’s passing.

I was surprised at how long the job took, but the detailing is excellent. I’m also surprised at how much discomfort I’m still in today (for those unaware, the after effects of tattooing feels like a lingering sunburn), but then again, the owl is larger and required more ink than anything I’ve gotten before.

But I’m aiming for a fifth tattoo later this year, followed by a sixth and perhaps a seventh and final one (all on my right arm).

I have to admit that getting marked is like munching on potato chips: you can’t have just one, and using new designs to create a larger theme is quite fun.

But anyhow, tomorrow the holidays are finally over, and its back to work for everyone.

Time to get back to reality and weekly deadlines.

No comments: