Thursday, August 14, 2008

More Speculation

Vis-à-vis Superhero Hype, MTV’s Splash Page (which I guess is part of the network’s endless quest to be as eye-meltingly hip as possible) queries a few popular comic writers (Grant Morrison, Tim Sale, Mark Waid) as to whom the next Batman movie villain should be.

The consensus: Catwoman.

However, I must disagree.

With the stark, bare bones version of Gotham Chris and Jonathan Nolan have established in "Begins" and “TDK,” any bat-villains which are overtly cartoonish (Penguin, Killer Croc, Bane) should be scrubbed from the next film's dramatic radar. And though Catwoman doesn’t exactly fall into the likes of Oswald Cobblepot, I’ve never found the character very compelling.

After all, what is she? A jewel thief with a feline fetish – hardly a whirlwind of criminal chaos like The Joker.

As for my two cents for which bad guy should be in “Batman 3,” I’ll take Two-Face (it was never really confirmed he died), the Riddler (only if done semi-seriously, not as an anal nerd who leaves clues for Batman outlining his latest plot, and is shocked when he crashes in through the skylight), or perhaps The Ventriloquist who is admittedly a bit Joker-like, but offers much for delving into his split psychology.

As for Robin, although I've always liked him, I prefer Batman solo. And apparently so do the Nolan Brothers.

No comments: