Mickey Kaus over at Slate has the “Top Ten Reasons Why Sarah Palin Resigned Today,” (followed by my response) and they are:
10) Being a governor in a recession is no fun. (Irrelevant. You play the cards you’re dealt)
9) She wants to “effect positive change outside government at this point in time on another scale, and actually make a difference for our priorities. (To me, this suggests that Palin will spend more time interacting with her SarahPAC in Virginia)
8) She’s pregnant. (Maybe, but even so who cares? She was pregnant with her most recent child while in office.)
7) She’s nuts. (Always a strong theory)
6) She needs to tend to her family. (Possible)
5) She’ll run against Lisa Murkowsky for US Senate. (Doubtful. After her taste of the national spotlight last year, methinks that Sarah wants far more attention than a meager Senate seat would afford her)
4) There’s another shoe about to drop (e.g. a looming scandal Palin wants to avoid; anything is possible).
3) She wants to cash in (e.g. book deals, fundraising; very, very likely).
2) She’s undergoing fame withdrawal, and wants more attention in the Lower 48. (Also very likely)
1) And of course: she’s running for president in 2012. (After today, I think Palin blew a large hole in the bottom of that boat)