Thursday, August 16, 2007

DG Review - Central Park (Oak Brook, IL)

This little 9-holer recently came to my attention via a tournament flyer; even better, I discovered it's only a five-minute drive from my day job, prompting me to slide around after work, and test out a few fairways.

Here's the deal...

Central Park is a small, dense, and very challenging course loaded with small trees and towering spruces which (as I learned) love to both bat aside and eat wayward discs. In fact, IMO, spruces are the most challenging tree in the Midwest for disc golfers to deal with due to their height, broad base, and thick branches - making bright colors virtually useless in finding lost discs.

For this reason, I advise against playing Central without at least one buddy in order to help spot your shots, and locate the next tee pad - the location of which is not always clear.

Furthermore, the fairways (if you can call them that) at Central are very narrow, making hyzering a big challenge - instead, I recommend using a good approach & putt disc like the Innova Aviar (which worked well for me) almost exclusively.

No comments: