Monday, September 10, 2007

DG Reviews (The Oaks & Madison Meadows)

Yesterday, my pals and I took advantage of a glorious early fall day to motor down to Mokena, Illinois (due south of Chicago), to check out the site of July's DG State Championship: The Oaks.

For one thing, the name is accurate, as the site's 27-hole course meanders (and I mean meanders) around a grove of tall oaks and scrub points, with a small creek running through it. But on the whole, The Oaks was easier I expected, which I was frankly surprised by as not far away Joliet's West Park--while shorter than Mokena--is a much, much tougher course, and a site I'd figure would be much more fitting for the state championship.

But back up in the western 'burbs, Lombard's 18-hole Madison Meadows is wide open, and thus, a big challenge on windy days - calling for players to keep their shots low and level - less (like mine) they get caught in a breeze and sail into someone's backyard. A small lake is in play in one area, however, so be advised.

No comments: