Friday, June 8, 2007

Enough With The Zombies, Already!

This week, during my visit to my FNCS, I commented to counter clerk Dan about Marvel’s recent merchandising deluge of all things zombie listed in their current and future dockets.

Y’know, the first Marvel Zombies mini-series wasn’t so great.

Yes, it was semi-clever, but nothing impressive. But like Hollywood gutter celebs whirling in and out of rehab like a trip to Disneyland, the dervishes at Marvel's marketing crew can’t seem to flood comic store shelves fast enough with zombie-themed crap.

Inevitably, the geniuses at Marvel will realize this so-called business plan is not sustainable.

But in the meantime, we can relish the schauenfreude of watching the truth fall on their sad little heads, as warehouses full of freshly unsold Marvel Zombie merchandise sits unloved and alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For another take on Marvel Zombies, jump on over to the last page of my May 24-Hour comic. It's my own little piece of simulacra; though I was being original by making fun of that kind of fanboy when they've been called 'zombies' for decades. Oh, well.

Still, I'm a bit surprised Ol' Marvel hasn't tried to copyright 'zombie' like they and DC managed to do with 'superhero' a few years ago. Clearly, 'superhero' should fall back into the public domain.

Christopher Hugh Varney (CHV) said...

I read that page. Very appropriate.