Monday, October 8, 2007

Irony Strikes Twice

Before I go any further, let me say it was never my intent for this blog to take on a steady, sports-related theme. But when interesting games are a part of your life, it’s tough not to want to share them.

As such, I had a profound case of déjà vu over the weekend when during the Blackhawks Home Opener, the team beat Detroit in an overtime shoot-out at United Center – which is ironic as hell considering the last time I saw a Hawks game this spring (the season closer) the exact same thing happened.

But it was a terrific game, or at least it became so after I pried myself away from a TV lounge showing the Cubs playoff game (they got swept; more on this later). The evening (which began with a brief memorial to despised, late Hawks owner Bill Wirtz – guess how that was received?) was also attended by a goodly amount of Wings fans, who took a verbal drumming from their rivals via the age-old chant “De-troit sucks!” echoing through the UC’s halls after the Hawks’ victory.

But let’s not get too cocky, mates: it’s a long season, isn’t it?

And speaking of long seasons, to the obnoxious White Sox fans who cheered the Cubs’ post-season demise in the United Center’s TV lounge, tell me, geniuses: where did your team spend the majority of this past year?

Pardon? The basement, you say? Whereas the Cubs won a Division Championship, and never got lower than third place?

Okay, fair enough. Just wanted to clarify…

Dickheads…


No comments: