Friday, July 20, 2007

In Which I Go West

I’ll be out of town for the coming week – this time, to San Diego for the annual Comic Con International.

Last year, I attended the con for the first time, and was not disappointed, while also making sure to take in such local attractions as the USS Midway, San Diego Maritime Museum, In & Out Burger (ask for a free sticker), and Tijuana, Mexico.

Although I had “gone below” to Mexico before, last year was my first trip to T.J. and what a cultural bombshell it was. Local merchants all but tackled my friends and me as we passed their restaurant/strip bar/shop on Revolution Avenue. Sure, U.S. tourist dollars are the lifeblood of local Mexicans, but Jesus Christo, tune it down a shade.

Otherwise, for those who have not been there, T.J. is a bordertown in every sense of the word. Forget the cheap beer, pharmacies, and donkey shows. That’s to be expected. Seeing Mexican families panhandling (many with toddlers holding change cups) tourists headed home was a starker reality, as were Tijuana’s constant stray dogs, and billboards warning foreign visitors against trolling for child prostitutes.

But despite the town’s rough edges, I do recommend everyone visit T.J. at least once (during the day). It’s a valuable sample of life outside the U.S., which despite its trademark melting pot ethic, seems more culturally isolating every day.

Plus, seeing San Diego and Tijuana on the same day is about as stark an example of who two places can be so different while separated only by a few miles.

But I digress…

I’m looking forward to getting back to San Diego. Too bad the Padres will be out of town again; I really wanted to see their new stadium.

Bastardos….

San Diego's Horton Plaza Mall....so many pretty lights...

No comments: